Thursday, October 9, 2014

Day 7 of 31: Thursday, Lord (Most Important Thing I've Learned from Beth Moore)


Beth Moore :)


           On April 24, 2010, our church hosted a simulcast of Beth Moore teaching from the Bible.  We had over 200 women who came early on a Saturday morning to watch Beth Moore on the screen.  I was part of the planning team that organized the event.  I was so happy to finally take my seat and take in the event that we had been working hard to host.
            When Beth Moore started talking, she did not start teaching right away. Instead, she began sharing how hectic her week had been.  Her son-in-law needed to have emergency surgery at the beginning of the week, so Beth stepped in to take care of her two grandchildren while her son-in-law and daughter were at the hospital.  She kept sharing more and more details about the hospital visits and her grandchildren’s nap schedules and in my mind, I began to say, Come on, Beth. Get on with it.  So many people have worked hard to make this event happen. Thousands of women across the country have set aside their Saturday to listen to you teach God’s Word.  Wrap this story up, and start teaching. 
            But then Beth described to us her conversations with God during her hectic week. In the midst of doing something like feeding her grandchildren their lunch, she would pray, God, You know that I need to teach thousands of people on Saturday. You need to give me the words. Right now I need to take care of my grandchildren, but on Thursday I’m going to work on my talk, and I need You to give me the words on Thursday. 
            As Beth would put the kids to bed, she’d pray the same thing: Thursday, Lord. I need You to give me the words on Thursday.

            You should know that I love kids, but even so, my first thought was, Why in the world couldn’t they find someone else to help with the kids for a few hours each day, so Beth could prepare for her biggest speaking engagement of the year?  But that’s not where Beth’s focus was.  She wanted to be there for her family when they needed her.  And what’s more: She trusted God enough that He would not only provide her the strength to care for her grandchildren, but also that on Thursday He would provide her the exact right words of the message He wanted her to share on Saturday.  That’s one way to live on the edge.
            But it’s also one way to live in freedom.
            I sat staring at the screen, thinking, Beth, you are crazy incredible.  She was able to take care of her grandchildren one day, trusting that God would give her the message the next day. What freedom that must be.

            For my job at my church, I usually teach in at least 2 contexts each week--once with a microphone with people who are younger than me and once around a table with people who are older than me.  Both opportunities are so important to me, and I know I am accountable for the teaching I give them. I’m the type who likes to plan things in advance, to have my notes written out and my outline ready to go.  But sometimes unexpected responsibilities pop up, and I look up and realize I have only 2 days left to prepare a lesson. In those moments, I remember Beth Moore’s attitude, and I feel peace as I follow her pattern of prayer.  Lord, You know that this week has been hectic, and I was needed elsewhere. I can't do it all. Now tomorrow when I sit down at 10am, I’m begging You to show me what You want me to say during the lesson.  Right now I’m taking care of this other important responsibility, but tomorrow—tomorrow please give me the words.
            I used to feel so much pressure to “come up with something really good” when I taught, but I don’t think it was a healthy pressure because it was focused on me instead of God.  But now trusting God to give me the words takes the sharp pressure off my shoulders and places the focus on His power instead of my abilities.  I submit to the Holy Spirit’s teaching, I quiet my heart and talk to Him, and I have to pay extra close attention to the Holy Spirit’s promptings because there is no time for me to dilly dally and get distracted.
            This has also been true of this 31-day blogging challenge. Every morning when I drive to work, I pray, Lord, I don’t know exactly what You want me to write today, but I trust You will give me the words.

            Does this translate to your life at all? In what ways do you need to trust in God’s power instead of your own abilities? Do you want Him to take the sharp pressure off your shoulders?


Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

No comments:

Post a Comment