Monday, November 24, 2014

Working with Dad (The Pastor's Daughter)


Dad & me!

            After I finish the 31-day blogging challenge, I’m going to take a long break from blogging about me.   My next writing project will be to write a book with my dad.  My dad has told me for years that he wants me to help him write a book about the experiences he’s had in almost 40 years of church ministry—all the things he has seen God do, all the things he has learned to do, and all the things he has learned not to do in leading a church.
           
            Dad helped me put my mailbox together last weekend.  (He was actually doing all the work.  I was just holding it in place and occasionally handing him the screwdriver.)  As he was working on my mailbox, I told him that I was ready to start writing his book with him.  “It’s super easy to self publish something, Dad.  Have you thought about what chapters you want to write?”
            He sighed, “I think I wrote them down somewhere, but I forget.” 
            I laughed, thinking, This is why he needs me to help him make this happen.

            My dad’s office is just 2 doors down from mine at church.  I started working on his church staff  5 and a half years ago.  It’s pretty special, I know.
            I was hired onto the church staff right before I graduated from college.  A few weeks before graduation, I ran into my friend Laura on campus.  Laura had lost her dad to cancer in January of that year.  As we chatted in the dorm lobby, Laura asked me what I was going to do after graduation.  I told her that I was going to work with my dad at the church. 
            Laura smiled and said, “I would give anything to be able to work with my dad.”
            I didn’t know what to say, but I nodded.  Finally, I said, “I’m very thankful.” 
            I still think about Laura’s words often.

            Dad didn’t actually offer me the job.  Pastor Paul—our family life pastor—was the one who called me and asked me to meet with him.  I was 21 and was just a few months away from graduating from college.  At that point, I knew that I wanted to work in a church teaching the bible and shepherding people to grow in their faith.  I had prepared my resume and was ready to apply to churches all over Indiana (near my family) and in Michigan (where my profs had connections) and wherever God would open up an opportunity.  I was willing to work with teenagers, children, adults—any area of ministry where I would have the opportunity to teach God’s Word and to guide people into a growing relationship with Christ.    
            I met with Paul during the hour before our church service started.  It was the Sunday after Thanksgiving—6 years ago this very week.  Paul explained the job description of what he wanted me to do:  leading children’s ministry and assisting Paul with family ministry.  Both sounded wonderful to me.  I walked out of his office thinking, Did that really just happen?  All throughout that Thanksgiving service, I kept telling God thank you for how He had provided this job for me.
            I had to go back to college that night.  The next day I was walking through the student center when my phone rang. It was Dad. 
            “Did Paul give you something to think about?” he asked.
            I chuckled at the obvious.  “Yeah. There’s a lot to think about.”  But I never doubted that this was what I wanted to do. 



            Some have asked me what it’s like to work with my dad.  The basic answer is that besides our weekly staff meetings, most workweeks don’t require us to work together.  If there is a major issue or if I need to present something to the elder board, I’ll go into his office and discuss it with him.  Usually, though, its just that I’ll stop in his office to say “Hey” and “How late are you staying tonight?” and “I didn’t know you were going to India” and “Did you see that picture Rachel just texted us of Russ?” and “I don’t think that shirt matches your pants.”  
            The realistic answer to what it’s like to work with my dad is this:  Sometimes we ride to work together.  Sometimes Dad pops into my office when I’m in a meeting and asks to borrow my car keys.  Sometimes when Dad is on vacation, my coworkers will ask me to text him about something. Sometimes I’ll tell a funny story about Dad to my coworkers when we’re all eating lunch together.  Sometimes after I have presented something at a meeting, Dad will later say, “Mary, you’re saying Uh and Um so much.  Just pause instead of saying Um.”  Sometimes I need someone to help me carry a table or move furniture, and I’ll first ask Dad before asking anyone else.  Sometimes Dad sees that I’m setting up for an event, and he’ll stay late to help me to do it. 
            We’ve ridden together for hospital visits, and we’ve ridden together to the homes of families who have unexpectedly lost a loved one.  He has looked at me in the car and said, “It doesn’t get much more heart-wrenching than this.”  I’ve seen my dad extend comfort and care to families during their time of loss, and it makes me admire him all the more.
            Once Dad was preparing for a funeral when he came down with the stomach flu.  He called me into his bedroom.  He was lying flat on his back in his bed with the lights off.  He hadn’t moved for hours.  With his hands over his eyes, he managed to say, “Mary, I need you to go their house tomorrow. Talk to them, write up the tribute, and share it at the funeral.”  I was nervous about it because this was a very tragic situation, but I also was happy to help, especially if Dad trusted me to do it.
            Otherwise, Dad and I almost never talk about church work at home.  We do like to share good stories of things that have happened at church recently, but any planning that needs discussion or any problems that need attention—that we don’t ever bring up at home or at birthday parties or at ballgames.   I guess my dad has learned over the years that it can be healthy to take a break, to leave well enough alone until the next day at the office. 
            I have heard many pastors and ministry leaders talk about the struggle to not “bring work home with them.”  (I imagine this is true of most jobs.)  But after I made it through my initial 6 months or so on the job, I have not struggled with this.  I believe that is because I have seen my father model it so well.  I do not take this for granted because my mom has told me that it took time for my dad to figure this out.  But I have gleaned it more easily because of his experience and his example to me.
            A few weeks ago, Dad texted me to ask if I’d pick him up for work the next morning.  I replied, “Yes, I’ll be there to get you at 9:00.”
            Dad texted back.  “Why so early? 9:30.”
            I laughed so hard.  I know that 9:00 really isn’t early.  Most of my friends have to leave for work by 7:30am.  But Dad’s schedule usually includes late night meetings and weekend hours, so he is not the early bird to the office.  And my coworkers would tell you that I have followed this trend as well.
            So I texted back, “Lol You’re the boss.  See you at 9:30.”

            More often than not, I am introduced by people in our congregation as “the pastor’s daughter” instead of as the director of children’s ministry and women’s ministry.  But I don’t mind that at all.  Why would it bother me? I am more proud of my dad than I am of my seminary degree.  My daddy has spent his life building this church.  I know the good, the bad, and the ugly about our church just as well as anyone—and I love this church with my every breath. Seeing what Dad has worked hard to build, remembering all the times he has fasted and prayed for our congregation, reliving the miracles and the joys that God has done for Dad—they have only caused me to want to further that.
            Shouldn’t we write these things down?  We don’t want to forget. 
            The cool thing is that my younger brother David is now going into ministry as well.  Dave wants to be a church planter, and now Dad will get to live it all again with Dave.  Dave needs this book from Dad, and I need it too.  If you see Dad in the next few weeks and months, encourage him to write this book. #legacyalert

 
Dad & Dave on Brazil missions trip

No comments:

Post a Comment