Thursday, October 23, 2014

Day 15 of 31: Transition Without Tears

Grandpa brought their fridge to my house today!


            I now know that my move-in date is close.  I don’t know when exactly, but I know that it is now days instead of weeks. 
            Am I packed? No.
            Do I care? No. 
            Am I feeling sentimental about leaving my parents’ house? Umm, yes. 
            I love my parents and my brother, and I’m tearing up now thinking about how I will miss seeing them every night when I get home from work.  Good thing I’m moving only a mile and a half away.  J

            Maybe this is pathetic to share, but as an 18 year old, I cried through almost my entire first semester of college because I missed my family.  I wasn’t adjusting smoothly to the change.  I remember that I had a psychology class, and my prof asked for a volunteer who was homesick.  Oh my goodness, why did I raise my hand?!!  He asked me to come to the front of the room.  Then he told me to close my eyes and visualize walking through my door at home.
            “What’s the first thing you see?” he asked.
            With tears in my throat, I said, “My mom!” And then I started crying in front of the whole class. 
            He was an adjunct professor, and I don’t think he had ever tried that experiment before, and I bet he never tried it again.  We didn’t get anywhere with it because I was just crying.         
            Before I got to college, I thought I was a confident girl who was ready to be on her own, try new things, and build new friendships.  But instead, I found myself crying in front of my psychology class and resenting the laughter I’d hear in the hallways because no one else seemed to be as homesick as I was. 
            But slowly…month by month…I adjusted to college life.  And slowly…block by block…I built new friendships.  I no longer had that sick feeling in my stomach when I drove back to campus after the weekends were over.  I no longer walked around without a smile. On one of the first nice days of Spring, I went roller blading with Emily on the campus sidewalks. That’s when I remember feeling happy and at home there for the first time.   

            Then in May 2009, I moved back home to my parents’ house after my college graduation. I piled all of my stuff from my college apartment into my car and then 90 miles later, I unloaded it into my childhood bedroom.  I was sentimental that night.  I had graduated in 3 years, so I left a year before my close friends.  I was sad to leave them.  I leaned against my bed and felt an empty disappointment that Emily and I would never be roommates again. 
            I knew it was a new season, but I knew the transition from being a full-time student to being a full-time ministry leader wouldn’t be easy for me.  It’s tough to leave what you know.  It’s tough to be a rookie.

            Today I watched my dad manhandle my grandparents’ fridge into my house.  (Thanks, Dad.) Today I met with my bank to close.  Tomorrow I meet with my construction manager one last time.  The next few days will bring loading furniture onto truck beds and packing up my things and unloading boxes.
            I am 26—I’ll be 27 in 2 weeks.  I don’t have a good track record of transitioning without tears. Don’t get me started with how much I cried when Peyton Manning left the Colts.  But I guess that’s me, and I guess I’m cool with being independent and sentimental at the same time.  New things are always exciting, and I’m so happy and thankful right now to be moving into my new home.  But I know myself enough to know that I don’t need to try to transition without tears.  J    

No comments:

Post a Comment