Monday, November 10, 2014

Day 21 of 31: Part 1--Creating Intentional Spaces


A little snapshot of my bedroom this morning

            About a month ago, my friend Rachel gave me the book The Nesting Place: It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful by Myquillyn Smith.  It’s so applicable for me right now as I jump into the homemaking process.  I’m writing a 3-part series of what I’m learning from the book.  
            Today is “It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful, Part 1: Creating Intentional Spaces.”



            Myquillyn Smith writes that before we start redecorating, we first need to define the purpose of our home—we need to consider how to create intentional spaces.[1] 

            Intentional Spaces.  Thinking about the purpose of it before purchasing a bunch of stuff off the shelves from Bed, Bath, & Beyond.
            Intentional Spaces.  Sometimes I have felt a little inept when it comes to design…often feeling overwhelmed when I try and then just doing whatever is easiest. 
            Intentional Spaces.  Intentional spaces do not have to be impressive spaces.  Intentional spaces do not have to live up to anyone else’s standards.  They simply need to be what you purpose them to be.
            Intentional Spaces. It’s good for us to dream about what we want it to be.  It’s good to believe that you and I have it in us to create the space for our families and guests to feel the way we hope they will feel in our home.

            So here is the question Myquillyn asks us: “How do you want people to feel when they come over? How do you want your family to feel about the home they live in?”[2] 

Myquillyn shared her goals of what she wants her house to be[3]:
·      A place to connect.
·      A safe place to make mistakes.
·      A place of inspiration.
·      A place of authenticity.
·      A place of comfort. 
·      A place of rest.
·      A place of joy.
·      A place of contentment.

            Did you roll your eyes at Myquillyn’s list? Does it seem unrealistic in the hectic pace of life?  Or do like her list and only wish those goals were attainable?
            Or maybe you’re a veteran, and you know the secret—you know that setting your eyes on your goals can little by little bring them to life, bring them to your life. You look back, and your home isn’t a place of guilt, but it has been the place, the space, the grace you wanted it to be.

            We shouldn’t make changes or spend money or scroll through Pinterest because we’re discontent…but we do it because we’ve decided how we want people to feel in our home, and we dare to create the space for those we love.

My little hall bath
As I’ve considered my intentions for my home, I’ve decided this is what I want it to be…

A place of togetherness.
            When I had the option to choose my floor plan, I chose an open concept.  I guess it was because I wanted togetherness in my home. Togetherness implies love and joy, snuggles and laughter.  Our schedules pull us apart during so many of our hours and days, so whenever we are at my home at the same time, I want us to enjoy togetherness.  I want people cooking in the kitchen to be able to talk to people watching the game in the living room.  (Let’s be real—I also want to watch the game from where I’m cooking.)
            Decoration Application:  Leave space in the living room to be able to play a game or build a Lego tower.  Emphasize coziness—blankets, pillows, maybe a beanbag chair to be brought in when needed. 
A place where arrows don’t fly.
            We would all buy peace and harmony if they were on sale.  And right now as I live by myself, it’s easy for my home to be a place of peace instead of a battleground.  But I hope that it will always be a place that we remember we are on the same team instead of fighting against each other.  I don’t want to use our words as weapons, as arrows to hurt those we ought to love most.
            Decoration Application:  There is, perhaps, nothing I can do with decorations to manufacture peace and harmony…except maybe celebrate the uniqueness of each family member and somehow incorporate that into the home.     
            I have read that some people choose a painting or a sign to hang somewhere in their house to serve as a reminder that their house will be a place of peace. In the midst of arguments, one of the family members will point to the sign, and they will respect the sign, submit to their rule of peace, lay down their weapons, and remember they are on the same team.  Perhaps whenever I get married, my husband and I can pick out a sign or a symbol of peace to hang somewhere in our home to keep us accountable to peace and harmony.
A place where I can take a Sabbath.
            I’m learning more and more how important it is to make room for a “Sabbath margin” in my life.[4]  I want to be able to rest in my home, to read, to pray, to write, to not have to wear my hats, but to just wear my smile and close my eyes in safety.
            There is one small space in my home that I want to be able to turn into a prayer corner.  Of course, I could pray anywhere, but I hope to make that space a sacred little spot where I remember that I am dependent upon God. 
            Also, I’m so satisfied that my bedroom is a calm paint color.  I want it to be a room where I can breathe freely and dream in peace and gratitude.
            Decoration Application:  Gather what I need for my prayer corner.  Continue the calm—don’t clutter my bedroom with any decorations that are loud or bright or intense.
A place where I don’t try to be impressive.
            It’s in our nature to try to measure ourselves by what we accomplish.  It could be easy to get caught up in striving to meet my own expectations of what I want people to think of me.  But I want to be intentional to make my home a place where I don’t try to be impressive.  I don’t want to be preoccupied with trying to be impressive with how clean my house is or with how yummy my food is or with how beautiful my house is.  The flip side: I should also not be preoccupied or disgruntled with how not clean or not yummy or not beautiful everything is.  My home shouldn’t be about me, but it should be focused on caring for those who come into my home.
            Decoration Application:  Never purchase something with the motivation of trying to impress others. 
A place that is a healing home.
            When I first got connected with someone from DCS for me to begin the process of getting licensed for foster care, I saw an ad for a foster care conference titled “Building a Healing Home.”  The ad showed up at the bottom of every email from DCS. I’d stop by my house to check on the construction process, and I’d think about that ad—building a healing home.  Maybe it wasn’t just the title for the conference; maybe it’s the title for my house.
            It’s probably presumptuous to think that my house could be a healing home, but I believe in the Healer—the One who heals physical, emotional, mental wounds.  Yesterday I taught children at church how Jesus healed the 10 men with a skin disease, and I also tried my best to teach them that Jesus can heal us of our sin disease.  If I believe that the One I serve is the Healer, then I must also believe it when He told me that my house is to be a healing home.
            Decoration Application:  If this is a season for me where abused or neglected children may come in and out of my home, then what kind of intentional space should I create? I have chosen a few pictures to hang on the walls that I hope the kids will remember—pictures that I hope show them a metaphor of God’s love for them even when they may not have experienced it from their earthly parents. 

I first saw this painting online when I was in college.  I printed it off and put it in a birthday card for a young girl that I worked with at my college church.  I found it last winter at a store and quickly bought it with Christmas money from my grandparents.  It means a lot to me, and I hope it will mean something to those who are in my home. 

Come back in a day or two to read Part 2.





[1] Smith, Myquillyn.  (2014).  The Nesting Place: It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful. Grand Rapids, MI:  Zondervan.
[2] Smith, Myquillyn.  (2014).  The Nesting Place: It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful. Grand Rapids, MI:  Zondervan.
[3] Smith, Myquillyn.  (2014).  The Nesting Place: It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful. Grand Rapids, MI:  Zondervan.
[4] Shirer, Priscilla. (2014).  Breathe: Making Room for Sabbath. Nashville, TN:  LifeWay Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment