Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Day 22 of 31: Part 2--One Room at a Time

Big Blank Wall Alert

            Now that I’ve been in my home for 2 and a half weeks, I’ve decided that I’m giving myself a grace period of a year…as far as décor and design go.  I’m going to need a year to figure out what I want for my home, a year to make it all the way through the house.  Right now I’m just logging in hours here, reading on my couch and looking around at the bare walls.  I brainstorm a bit about what furniture pieces or wall décor would look good, but my brain really doesn’t naturally storm that way. 
            It’s not that I want to just keep reading and neglect my bare walls; it’s just that…dude, where do I start? 

            As a college and grad student, I learned a few things about procrastination and working under a deadline.  When I had a paper due, I had to muster up the discipline to write out the outline—just sit in the seat and close down my internet browser.  Just start, just write.  Once I had my outline done, I knew where I was going.  Half my energy was exerted in just getting off to a good start. Getting started was the biggest step, followed by several small steps.
            Any mess in life—whether the mess in my bedroom or the mess in my office or the mess of a situation I care about—any mess in my life seems to paralyze me.  I’d really like for the situation to become completely clean and organized, but where do I start? I whine to my mom or to my friends that I just need them to help me get started. 
            I have often talked with my mom about this.  I have some strengths in life, but organizing a mess is not one of them.  Neither is figuring out how to put together a beautiful centerpiece or decorating an entire home.  Most of the time, this kind of thing literally gives me a headache.  When I think about these projects, I feel like I have a heavy blanket on me, and I can’t move.  I have to fight myself to do it, and I usually end up getting ticked at how inefficient I feel.
            That’s naïve and immature, but also very real. (Anybody else with me on this?)  I guess it’s natural to cringe and hate our weaknesses like they’re lice or something.  But organizing, decorating, and creativity are important parts of life.  I can’t go through life saying I’m bad at it and just figuring that I will always have a semi-cluttered home that will only be about 25% as beautiful as it could be.  I have to remember the times when I’ve worked hard at a project, and it turned out beautiful.  
            It’s exhausting spending money on décor, but that also shouldn’t be my excuse.  In her book The Nesting Place: It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful, Myquillyn Smith encourages us to take advantage of craigslist, thrift stores, and garage sales.  She says, “Even if I had all the money in the world, I’d still look for secondhand pieces for my home.”[1] Great, more creativity required.  But maybe creativity is a muscle; the more I use it, the stronger I will be. 

            So I’m giving myself a year, letting myself off the hook, letting myself live and breathe and eat here, letting myself take my time to make up my mind. 
            And even now, as I write this, I’m looking around and staring at my walls.  I’m staring at my furniture.  My brain is trying to storm.  Even though I’m giving myself a gracious deadline since design doesn’t come easy to me, I still need to start now, room by room. 
            If I think of my house as a research paper (which I am more familiar with than interior decorating), then I think of my purpose for my home as my thesis and each room as a section in the paper.  I’ll think of developing each room like I would develop a paragraph. 

            To begin, I need to choose the room that I will focus on first.  This is an easy choice for me.  I choose my bedroom.  I’ve told some of my friends that I am LOVING my bedroom because it is so big, and the paint color is so soft and calm, and I’m still hopelessly in love with my ivory bedspread even though it gets fuzzies all over my pajamas.  This love is unconditional—the ivory fuzzies do not bother me one bit (but my black jeans do not go near it).
            The bedroom that I had at my parents’ house was a good-sized room, but I had 26 years worth of stuff packed in there—2 bookshelves, 2 dressers, a crammed closet, and full bins under my bed.  Since I often left shoes and books on the floor, there was barely enough space to walk or sit down to paint my toenails.  It’s my fault; I really should have given a bunch of stuff away a long time ago.  But either way, now it makes me appreciate my new bedroom all the more. 
            My new bedroom feels so big and open and easy-breezy to me.  But it is still majorly unfinished.  Oh, help.

            I’m thankful for Myquillyn’s advice for us on how to start.  She gives 5 steps.[2] 
            1. Determine the purpose of the room. I talked about creating intentional spaces in my last post.
            2. Find your muse. I guess my muse in my bedroom is the color combo of white and bronze against the grayish-blue paint color.  It looks country and a little antiquey and just nice and simple. I’m really not interested in introducing more colors to this room because I don’t want to take away from that simplicity. 
            3. Quiet the room.  I need to clear out the excess of the room and let it be for awhile.  This is easy for me because as a new house, the room doesn’t have years of clutter that needs to be cleared out and years of the tradition of how the space was set up before.  But I’ve got about 3 big boxes in there right now that I still need to unpack.  Then it’s time to stare and consider what new things can happen in this space. (Myquillyn says she “quiets each room” at least once a year.)
            4. Enter my lovely limitations. By this point (after a considerable amount of staring), I’ve figured out what is weird about the space and what I wish the builder would have done differently.  Even though the room is big, my options of where to put a dresser are limited because of where my window is and because of the side-by-side doorways to my closet and bathroom.  And then my smaller decorations won’t look right on the walls because they are so big. 
            At this step, Myquillyn encourages us to be creative to work with these imperfections.  She has found that some of the cutest touches in her home have been when she was forced to work around a seemingly awful imperfection.
            5. Prep your canvas.   Now I can’t make excuses. It’s time to go for it. Stop being a wuss and take risks—forget about the fear of making mistakes.  Forget that this is my “weakness.”  I have to believe that creativity is a process. I have to believe that beauty is worth it.  (Remind me when you can, when my face falls and I glare at you that I just need a break…my mom and sisters know this facial expression of mine well.)  Lest I get overwhelmed and quit, I’ll be focusing on the canvas of one room at a time.

I'm so prone to get overwhelmed by this.  But I think the one-room-at-a-time strategy will help.  My bedroom this month.  Probably the living room next month. Deep breath and go at my own pace.  Enjoy the little victories.  I think this goal is worth it. Just one room at a time.

 
My friends Dave & Marie gave me this.  I love how it looks in my bedroom!!



[1] Smith, Myquillyn. (2014).  The Nesting Place: It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful.  Grand Rapids, MI:  Zondervan.
[2] Smith, Myquillyn. (2014).  The Nesting Place: It Doesn’t Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful.  Grand Rapids, MI:  Zondervan.

No comments:

Post a Comment