Sunday, September 7, 2014

Week 14: Singleness, Part 3--Five Girls' Response



They installed my HVAC this week!

After a few weeks of hot & humid weather, I was thankful to be able to turn on the AC!

Did I mention that I didn’t want to write about being single? Just because blah, I’d rather talk about other things. But there’s something about speaking about what you know, what you’re in the middle of right now. 

A few years ago my friend spoke at our church’s women’s retreat about the challenges of her engagement—how she and her fiancé had made the commitment to stay within the boundaries to not have sex before marriage, but they had faced many struggles through that.  She spoke to the group and shared what God had taught her through her engagement… at the very time when she was right in the middle of her engagement.  She wasn’t reminiscing.  She was speaking in real time.  

And I so, so, so wish I would have filmed her speaking.  But I still remember what she said and the other women’s reactions to her story.  She was a strong, credible voice—not an echo that isn’t loud enough to hear, not a fuzzy public service announcement over the loud speaker that people ignore. She was a voice speaking in the middle of her season, and we all stopped and listened and later told our family and friends about what she said.

Remembering how my friend was brave enough to tell her engagement story at our retreat is what pushed me to go ahead and write about being single.  The time is now, not in 10 years when I can’t even remember what it felt like.

I had the idea of inviting some single girls to dinner to discuss the topic with them.  I wanted their perspectives to add value and balance to my posts.  We could meet at Erin’s house next weekend.  I pulled out my laptop to begin emailing them with this odd invitation and then remembered that I should probably ask Erin if she’s good with hosting the dinner.  I’ve known Erin as one of my best friends since we were in 1st grade, so I don’t mind inviting myself over, but I should probably check before I invite a whole group. 

Erin, Me, & Amy :)

They came to check out my house this weekend!

Erin was cool with it, so I went ahead and invited my other friends.  The next day I had doubts about writing about this, but I had already invited my friends, so I couldn’t abandon the idea yet.

The next Saturday I was able to meet with my friend Amy for lunch to get her thoughts, then ran some errands and got to Erin’s house early to put some things for dinner in her fridge.  Erin and I have logged in many miles together walking and jogging along the country roads by her parents’ house and my parents’ house. We spent years talking not only about family and work and which professional athletes we had celebrity crushes on, but also about finally getting our own places.  We emailed each other the photos of houses we were interested in, and we even went with each other to look at houses.  We thought it was fun and fitting that Erin closed on her house exactly 1 week before I closed on the construction loan for my house. 

Since we had time before the other girls arrived, I lay down on her couch and read.  Her couch is a comfy reading spot, and whenever I’m there in her living room, I look around and think of how I love how she set up the room.  Her lamps have these beautiful shades that she found, and her blue curtains for her big window are seriously perfect.  The curtains have birds in the design, and then she has trendy, birdcage décor on her walls. 

I’m impressed with how Erin budgeted and saved and diligently sought out the right place for her to make her first home, how she carefully collected the household items she needed and creatively brought everything together to make it cozy.  I thought of her when I read Shauna Niequist’s words:  “Why should you have to be married to own a decent knife? ...Grown-ups should have good knives and nightstands and homes that have been created with love and attentiveness.  You don’t have to wait for a partner to invest in your space, in yourself, in your life.”[1]  I agree, and I’m celebrating how my friend has taken the initiative and responsibility to create her home.




Soon Erika, DeJo, and Emily arrived at Erin’s house.  After dinner, I apologized for taking over the conversation and passed out the 2 articles I wrote about singleness.  “It feels weird forcing you to read what I wrote, but I did give you fair warning in my email.” They laughed and then picked up the papers and began reading. 

Our conversations over the next 2 hours (as well as my conversation with Amy that day at lunch) swirled around five themes.  I’d like to share with you the insights of my friends—all single women ranging in age from 26 to 33, who have grown up in the Midwest and who are devoted in their relationship with Christ.  We’re not reminiscing here; we’re speaking in real time.

1. We love to hate limitations.
            In my post, “Singleness, Part 1: Seasons” (http://myseventeenweeks.blogspot.com/2014/08/singleness-part-1-seasons.html), I write about having limitations.  About half of my friends said that they really didn’t like the word limitations.  They didn’t like saying that singleness is a limitation because it makes it sounds like someone who is single is flawed.  One friend said that if we’re focusing on the flaws of the season, then we aren’t focusing on God’s sovereignty. 
            We all agreed that we believe that someone is not flawed because of her singleness, but we teased out the connotation of that word.  One friend said, “On one hand, being single is a limitation, but it’s not in and of itself a limitation.”  We talked about the limitations of other seasons of life, and then we brainstormed how limitations have played out for us recently.
            Two of my friends talked about the limitation of buying a house alone and living alone. One said that she experienced lots of tears and frustration when trying to buy a house; choosing which house to buy on her own was so hard, and she often wondered, Why can’t I just decide?  The other said that when she first bought her house and moved in, the loneliness was overwhelming, and she thought, Oh my goodness, I’m by myself now.      
            Two of my other friends discussed the limitations they have experienced traveling as single women.  My friends have served in short-term and long-term missions work, and so they have had to take precautions in where they could go and who would be with them.  Of course, they also shared that their singleness has given them some extra freedom to travel and participate in cool opportunities.   
            Finally, one friend said, “I haven’t decided if I like the word limitation or not, but there is some truth to it.”

2. Singleness is a gift.
            After they read Part 1 about seasons, I asked them, “Do you think it’s even worthwhile to talk about our season of life?”
            One responded, “It’s definitely important to talk about it because we should always be aware, so we can be grounded….  When people try to tell us what to do, we can have a confidence in our season.”
            As we talked about the season of singleness, the girls were quick to remind me that singleness is a gift.  One friend said that she remembers that God spoke to her one day and asked, “Have you opened up your gift of singleness yet? Have you taken it off the shelf and unwrapped it?”  This inspired her to make a pre-marriage bucket list of things to accomplish and enjoy as a single woman.
            One friend pulled out her phone and read me a quote from Elisabeth Elliot:  “Single life may only be a stage of a life’s journey, but even a stage is a gift. God may replace it with another gift, but the receiver accepts His gifts with thanksgiving. This gift for this day! The life of faith is lived one day at a time, and it has to be lived—not always looked forward to as though the ‘real’ living were around the next corner.  It is today for which we are responsible. God still owns tomorrow.”[2]
            Some shared how they have struggled with this season, but they do not want to be paralyzed in it.  They recognize God’s sovereignty in where they are now, and they are yielding to the shaping process of the season.  As I listened to all the girls share about how their goal is to enjoy the season and to honor God in every way that they can in their season, I felt so much admiration for them. I know these are high-caliber women, but I also know that their excess of joy and love (instead of bitterness) shows how God has been faithful to walk each step with them.

3. Comparison Questions
            After reading my article, “Singleness, Part 2” (http://myseventeenweeks.blogspot.com/2014/09/week-13-singleness-part-2-what-do-you.html), one friend told me that she liked how I said that I figured out that I don’t “deserve” a good husband.  She said that sometimes she has struggled with thinking, I’m a good Christian woman. Why is this happening for others, but not for me?  She said that it’s easy to get caught up in comparing what she’s done and what others have done and who deserves what. 
            Another said that she can relate to the Why? questions of God, are you kidding me? I’m a good Christian girl, I’ve been praying about this, so why hasn’t it happened for me when it’s happening for others? She said that when she watches her friends get married and have kids, it’s great to celebrate with them, but she has asked God, Why not me?  But in the same breath, she said that God has taught her to embrace it and to enjoy it.  This leads to the next theme of joy and trust.

4. Joy and Trust
            We began to discuss the topic of unfulfilled desires. The girls referenced Psalm 37:4:  “Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” They believe that God gives us desires for a reason—that if we’re willing, God will mold our desires into His desires.  One friend said that whenever she has felt pain over unfulfilled desires, she has prayed, God, my heart is Yours. Just replace my desires with Yours. She recognized that our joy comes from God, not from our circumstances.
            One of the girls said that she’s learned that in the midst of unfulfilled desires, she must keep her heart from becoming jaded.  She said it hinges on this question:  Do I trust God?
            Do I trust God if dating might break my heart again?
            Do I trust God if singleness is a lifelong status instead of just a season?
            Do I trust God to know and to do what is best for me?
            Do I trust Him?
My friends shared stories and convictions to affirm that God gives joy, God gives peace, God gives comfort, God gives encouragement and purpose.  God is trustworthy.  One recommended the song “Who You Are” by JJ Heller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8jilr8qsYU.  

5. Physical temptation is not just for guys.
            One friend didn’t hold back in saying, “I don’t like it when pastors or authors minimize girls’ sex drive. It makes me feel like I shouldn’t be struggling with this temptation.  But that’s just a stereotype.”  She then recommended the book No Stones: Women Redeemed from Sexual Addiction by Marnie C. Ferree.  Some of the other girls then talked about how they are committed to saving sex for marriage, but they still think it will be really hard.  We talked about being cautious versus being legalistic when it comes to physical boundaries within a dating relationship and also how our perspectives have changed on this topic since we were teenagers. 

If we had dinner together again next week, I’d probably have 5 more themes to share with you.  But this post is long enough now, so I hope you have enjoyed it and were able to glean something from my friends’ insights.  Thanks again to Amy, Erin, DeJo, Emily, and Erika for your willingness to share your voice!

My nieces & nephew think I painted my laundry room yellow to support their school mascot.
 Sure--Go Yellow Jackets!!



[1] Niequist, Shauna. (2014). “You Are Significant With or Without a Significant Other.” Retrieved from www.shaunaniequist.com on September 6, 2014. http://www.shaunaniequist.com/significant-without-significant/.
[2] Elliot, Elisabeth. (1999).  Let Me Be a Woman. Tyndale House Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment